Sunday, August 5, 2012

DIY Camera Bag/Insert

Alright so I decided to make a camera bag/insert to match my strap!  this is fairly easy and I'll show you what I did to improve my bag, but also the insert. So if you have a really cute purse you want to tote around your camera stuff in you can slip the insert into most bags!

 {Supplies}
My bag from savers 2.99! I only used the the metal square hooks and the pink fabric sorry I intended to use the other items, but i decided to make it less confusing! I also didn't take a picture of my foam square it was a 1 in. x 15 in. x 17 in. you can get them at Joann or Michael's for pretty cheap.  You will also need needle and thread to match your colors.
Iron on hem! I love this stuff!

Material for your new strap (if you need to make a new one some might just have to make the insert!) I went for a wide burlap to match the bag and some bright pink ruffles to jazz it up!

 So first things first lets get rid of those ugly straps on the bag!  All you have to do is cut along the hem close to the handle to remove it (not the whole hem just the hem where the handle is attached to the bag). Then sew along the same hem line overlapping into where your hem is still sewn together to close your holes.


Now that you've removed the handle you need to remove the hem and sew in your square metal attachments.  I wanted a messenger bag look so I inserted mine on the two sides of my bag.


Ruffle time!  This was super easy I just laid down a strip of iron on hem to my strap then ironed on my ruffles!


Attach your strap to your hooks!  I just measured the length that I wanted it to hang and folded about 2 in. of strap through the hook and sewed the two pieces to each other. I repeated the same step for both sides. Now don't be afraid to go over board when sewing in your hooks and strap. Its holding all of your precious things so you want it secure!


So your bag is pretty much done!  This bag doesn't have any closures on it, the ones i bought for this in the supplies pictures didn't work well with the fabric, but I think I'm going to get some Velcro to sew in to do the trick, but you can use whatever you like!

So on to the insert!  I've been seeing these really cute camera purse bags so I figured I would just make the insert so if you want to switch it up now and then you just slip the insert in and your off!

I started out by measuring my camera, lenses and bag.  This is just measurements that I needed for mine so not everyone's will match.  I've noticed with my insert it is pretty universal to fit into most of my hobo/satchel bags!

I cut my foam squares to the measuremnets I needed I will give you the breakdown 
Bottom 1 ft. x 4 in. 
End Sides for Lens 8 in. x 3 in.
Lens holders 10 1/2 in. x 4 in.
Sides Front/Back 5 in. x 7 in. (this I think you can increase to 7 in. x 8 in. if you want)

This is what some of your pieces will look like



Now measure and cut your material out, but increase your material length by 1 in. each way to allow for hemming.  Hem the wrong sides together on 3 of the 4 sides leaving one open to put in foam insert. flip right side out then once its in hem the remaining side. I used iron on hem for this part too! You can also take a big piece of foam cut out enough length for the bottom and sides and do the same steps to cover it then surge down where you want your sides to fold. It takes out a couple of steps, but I don't have a sewing machine or a foam piece long enough so I just pieced mine together separately.

They will look like stuffed sausages! :)
This was an example I found if you wanted to do one big piece rather than piecing together

Now its just personal preference on how you make your insert you can adjust and make it how you like this is just how I did mine. All you do is sew together your foam pieces to how you want your insert laid out!


Now you can put your insert into whatever you want!



 So you want a different purse today no problem!



No comments:

Post a Comment